18 January 2009

What makes me happy in Serbia...

  • Church Bells. I always sleep with the windows open and every Sunday morning I wake up to the sound of our neighborhood church's bells singing.
  • Imported German yogurt. Did someone say joghurt auf erlesnen Heidelbeeren?
  • Kosutnjak. Our "backyard" is a huge forested park perfect for picnics, long walks, sledding, and clean crisp air.
  • Green Markets. cheap fruits and vegetables grown locally and sold in season just down the street.
  • Expat Community. It's amazingly scary to move to a far away place - no friends, no family. Day one we knew no one. By day two we were embraced by a whole community of people.
  • The language. It's totally crazy and that makes it pretty fun to learn.
  • Primary. There are only 3 kids in our Primary and 2 of them are mine! It's so intimate and so sweet. It's a challenge for me and the Primary President to fill 2 hours, but when I was set apart I was told that I would be taught simple faith by the children I serve. I'm seeing those lessons every Sunday.
  • I would be lying if I didn't mention Sanja. She's my housekeeper and she's amazing!
What do you love about the place you're living now?

5 comments:

Sunshine Promises said...

Housekeeper? HOUSEKEEPER? I would move clear across the world JUST to get a housekeeper! Heaven.

Amen on the german yogurt. I had it multiple times while in Switzerland and ate it many times a day. So rich and creamy . . . like dessert.

What's good about where I live (hmmm . . . struggling right now)? Aha! Temples near by. THAT is a definite blessing.

Jana said...

You have such a fun way of writing, it makes your blog so fun to read! First of all, your Christmas sounded amazing! Snow and everything. I loved to hear what you love about where you live, housekeeper and all!!

You've lived here, but I love:
Free awesome museums and zoo
Parks and bike trails super close
History all around you
National new is local news
You can't help but be into politics
Not in Utah anymore, in the Mission:)

I'm sure there's more, but can't think of more right now. I hope you guys are having a blast, it looks like it from the pics. Cute family!!

contigo said...

Although I have mentioned many of these on our blog, they are worth a repeat here.

1. The people of Brazil
2. The green trees and flowers (Hibiscus is my latest fav)
3. Passion fruit juice, fresh squeezed OJ, watermelon every week
4. Rio
5. Our local congregation (ward)

gaskills said...

I know, right! Sometimes I think I don't want to live "in the wild" any more, but then I remember THE HOUSEKEEPER!

Sunshine Promises said...

Okay, my love. I've been checking your blog regularly to no avail. It is TIME for an update!