19 April 2010

The Best Day of My Life

The other night I was snuggling with Alex in his bed and saying goodnight.  He looked at me and said, "Mom, today was the best day of my life." I thought over what we had done: planted some flower seeds in the backyard, played a game of war, made a big fruit salad, watched High School Musical together.  We had some tickle wrestling, did some math homework, played on the swings in our backyard, did some chores, ate meals together, read some books, took baths, had family prayer.  I sang each of my kids the 3 bedtime songs they choose each night. We didn't really do anything to brag about over the watercooler.  But Alex was right; it was a great day.

I was reminded of an article I read in a past issue of the Ensign.  BYU professor Shirley Klein wrote: "Everyday events in our home can seem so simple that we overlook their importance - like the children of Israel who were smitten by a plague of snakes.  To be healed they had to just look at the brass serpent on a pole, but because it was so simple, many did not do it."

Here's to the simple life!  

1 comment:

melita said...

What a blessing to be mothers and be home with our children and witness the true joy of life. These kinds of days are my favorite too. I hope you are having a great time. How was Serbia? Where are you guys now?